As a boat owner, there is nothing more enjoyable than sharing the gift of the open waters with your family and friends. As you prepare your vessel for a day out on the water, it is important that you consider the safety of your guests as well. With a safety first mentality and the right boat insurance policy, you can make lake days a worry-free occasion. To ensure that you and your crew are protected to the fullest on each and every ride, keep these vital safety tips in mind:
- While the law states that you must have enough life jackets on board for each passenger, they do not do much help if they are stowed away. Therefore, it is best to just ask everyone to wear their life jacket right when they jump on board.
- Whenever navigating new waterways, be sure to do a little research so that you know the marine traffic laws of those waters and the distress signals used.
- It is important that you do not overload your boat and that you are diligent in equally distributing weight. Even though the view may be great, do not let your guests enjoy the ride on the seatbacks, gunwales, or the bow.
- Many boaters assume that they can enjoy a nice cold one while on the waters, but this only increases the likelihood of an accident occurring. Driving while intoxicated is just as dangerous on the water, so refrain from partaking in this dangerous act.
- Most importantly, you must stay alert. Yes, you can converse with your guests, but that does not mean getting distracted to the point where it becomes dangerous.
Contact Scavone Insurance Center in White Plains for all of your New York boat insurance needs. Allow us to provide you with the peace of mind necessary to enjoy lake days out on the open waters with your crew without a worry in the world.