We all know that February is the month of love, but many are unaware that we associate the entire month with the heart symbol since it is American Heart Month! During the entire month, promotional awareness is encouraged so that all Americans can stay heart healthy by partaking in the right preventative measures.
As the number one killer in the United States, it is extremely important that we educate all so that heart health can be achieved. Unfortunately, many individuals fail to realize that many of the risk factors for cardiovascular disease are in our control, including diet, physical activity, weight, blood pressure, blood cholesterol, and tobacco use.
During the month of February and beyond, we encourage you to start planning for prevention by incorporating these heart healthy habits into your lifestyle:
- Many individuals fail to monitor their blood pressure regularly. Next time you are at the pharmacy, check your blood pressure to see if you are in need of further action.
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet is extremely important for preventing cardiovascular disease. This means enjoying lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables each and every day.
- Our ancestors did not have the luxury of knowing all the negative effects cigarette smoking causes, but we have no excuse. If you currently smoke, it is time to make the pledge to quit the stick and start living a healthier life!
- When was the last time you had your cholesterol checked? These levels should be checked every five years, and more if high cholesterol runs in your family.
- Most importantly, strive to make healthier choices and your body will be thanking you!
Join us in recognizing February as American Heart Month! Contact the Scavone Insurance Center in White Plains for all of your New York health insurance needs. In order for your heart to prevail year after year, you must receive the preventative care your body requires to thrive.