Your holiday decorations can be festive and safe!
One of the things that everyone looks forward to in December is decorating their homes for the holidays. Decorations like twinkling lights, beautiful trees, and lush wreaths can instantly fill your home with holiday cheer. However, while lovely to look at, decorations can pose some risks for your home and loved ones. Keep these threats at bay with these holiday decorating safety tips.
1) When using decorative lights, check for any cracked bulbs or frayed wires. It’s generally much safer to discard and replace damaged strands.
2) If your home is situated near power lines, be very careful about your home’s external decorations. Be sure to keep ladders and decorations away from these lines and make sure your ladder is placed securely to prevent you from falling against power lines when you climb up.
3) All lights should have Underwriter’s Laboratory certification. Look for the “UL” tag to ensure that the product has been checked for potential safety hazards. You should also check the color of the UL label. A red UL signifies that the lights are okay for both indoor and outdoor use, while a green UL mark means that the lights should only be used inside.
4) Use heavy-duty extension cords and do not overload them. You should have no more than three lights plugged into each extension cord. If you are using the cords outside, make sure they are marked safe for outdoor use.
5) Indoor lights should not come into contact with any flammable materials. Keep then away from curtains, furniture, and carpeting. If you are using candles as part of your decorations, make sure you keep these away from flammable materials as well.
By taking these simple decorating precautions, you can protect your home and your loved ones from any potential risks. Another way to keep everyone safe is to have the right insurance protection. To find the best policy to fit your needs, trust the team at Scavone Insurance in White Plains, New York. Contact us to get the coverage you need today.