Boating season is here, but there are some precautionary measures you need to take before you put it back on the water.
The sound of ice cracking and the sound of snow melting means that the northern hemisphere is moving from winter and into spring! This means that boating season is not very far behind. If you hauled out last fall, there are a few things you should check before you place it back in the water. Checking the boat, the electrical, and safety equipment are all crucial components of making sure boat season stays a happy season.
Your boat has been sitting in storage for a very long time and it may need some sprucing up. Check the following items on your boat
- Go below deck and check hoses and lamps
- Clean and polish all bright work
- Clean canvas, bimini and dodger
- Check rudder, fittings, stanchion, pulpits and lifelines for wear
- Replace hull zincs
- Clean and grease winches, lubricate the anchor windlass
- Inspect and test trim tabs
Wear and tear occur naturally as time goes on. There may have also been some vermin which took a liking to your wires or hoses. Here are some things you should check on your boat
- Charge your battery and test it to make sure it can still hold a charge.
- Inspect your fuel system for leaks. Soft, brittle or cracking indicates damaged hoses that need to be replaced.
- Check belts and cables for wear. Black residue near the pulley could indicate a worn or loose belt. Cracking and swelling on control cable covering requires immediate attention.
- Inspect your propeller for damage that can cause unwanted vibration and harm your drive train. Make sure the propeller is secured and replace the bearings if needed.
Making sure your safety equipment is functioning properly could end up saving a life. Things like the life jackets, flares, and fire extinguishers.
For all of your boating insurance coverage needs, contact the insurance professionals at Scavone Insurance Center in White Plains, New York. We can help with any coverage updates you need to ensure that you can glide through 2016 with the right amount of protection to meet your specific needs, all at the right price.