Tips for when the lights go out.
We go about our daily lives without realizing how much we rely on electricity. When the power goes out, most of us are left helpless! So that you’re not stumbling about in the dark trying to find a match for your tea light, stock your home with essentials and know the basics of how to prepare for a power outage!
- Store flashlights, batteries, and candles in an easily accessible area.
- Keep a first aid kit handy!
- Purchase a hand-cranked or battery-powered radio so that you can stay informed of what’s happening.
- Stock your pantry with an emergency supply of non-perishable food.
- Store plenty of drinking water!
- Get a gas camping stove for means of cooking.
- Load your freezer with a couple of bags of ice. This will help to keep your food items cooler.
- Use a landline (keep your power company’s number on hand) instead of your cell phone. You will most likely not lose your phone service.
- Turn off all appliances that you were using when the power went out.
- Leave one light switched on so that you’ll know when the electricity is back on.
- You may want to keep a set of cards or a board game handy – power outages can take a while!
While you can’t predict power outages, you can prepare for the unexpected. In case of such an incident or an accident, fall back on your home insurance. So that you have the correct coverage for your home and budget, contact The Scavone Insurance Center today!