Now that the calendar has officially turned to fall and the winter weather will soon be approaching White Plains, NY, it’s time to prepare your home for the colder weather.
The best way to prevent your home, and your wallet, from destruction is to take precaution. Preventative maintenance will mean that your home expenses will be significantly reduced as you won’t have to call out the plumber on Christmas eve because your water pipe has burst.
Add these 5 tasks to the top of your To Do list!
- Order firewood. A natural heat source, such as an open fireplace, can be used without power and expels a great deal of warmth.
- Clean out the gutters. Collect all of those fallen leaves and debris that have been building up all year. If you cannot reach your gutters, hire a professional.
- Hire a chimney sweep. A clean and stable chimney will prevent any build up of material which could induce a fire.
- Inspect your furnace and boiler. Hire a professional to ensure that your heating systems are in working order before turning them on!
- Drain exterior faucets. Insulate exposed pipes, too. This prevents water freezing and then cracking the pipe.
So that your home is kept in tip-top condition throughout winter and beyond, don’t let these tasks fall by the wayside. Home insurance is there to protect your home so that you are not left financially strained in the event of a peril or a disaster.