Now that the new school year has started, it is important to get back into the school routine. Along with making sure that your children are prepared for the new school year, it is also important to make sure that you stay safe on the road with the heavy school traffic. Keep these tips and reminders in mind to ensure that everyone stays safe on their way to school.
- When a school bus has yellow flashing lights, it means that the bus is preparing to unload or load children, which means it is important to drive with caution.
- It is illegal to pass a school bus when it is loading or unloading children.
- Children have the highest risk of being hit by a vehicle when they are within 10 feet of a bus, which is why it is so important to exercise extra caution when around a school bus.
- If your teen is driving to school, make sure that they follow the rules of the road and avoid any distractions while in the car, such as talking on the phone or driving with friends.
- Many children around schools are distracted by their phones or friends when crossing the street. Always give pedestrians the right away to prevent any accidents.
- Always be aware of bicyclist when on the road. Leave at least a three feet distance between your vehicle and the bike to ensure that you have enough time to stop in case of an accident.
- Stop whenever you are directed to do so by a crossing guard, even if you do not see any children. They may be able to see the children approaching before you can.
The back to school season is also a good time to look into all of your Insurance Policies to ensure that you and your children have the most comprehensive coverage possible. Contact the insurance professionals at the Scavone Insurance Center for all of your New York Insurance needs.