With summer’s arrival and extreme heat, you may be finding it difficult to keep your home cool throughout the day. With these tips, you should be able to beat the heat this summer while keeping your electric bill down:
- Updating your insulation will help keep both hot air out and cool air in. It may also be beneficial to add more insulation on top of existing insulation in your attic.
- Ventilate your attic to keep the hot air from accumulating.
- Give your air conditioner a good cleaning before starting it up.
- Program your thermostat’s timer to be higher while you’re out of the house and to cool down about thirty minutes before you return.
- Installing awnings over windows can divert direct sunlight
- If you don’t already have ceiling fans, consider installing them. Don’t forget to change your fan’s direction.
- Opening and closing the door throughout the day allows heat and humidity to enter the home.
- Close blinds and shades during the day and consider planting shrubs to provide shade.
- Keeping lamps, televisions, and other heat-producing decides away from the air conditioner because they can cause the thermostat to read a higher temperature, which may be wasting electricity.
Contact the insurance specialists at Scavone Insurance Agency Center LLC to meet with one of our experienced independent insurance agents to talk about your homeowners insurance policy. We are eager to use our expertise to find you the absolute best and cheapest policy for your specific circumstances.