Take these steps to protect your home from water damage.
Contrary to popular belief, everyday appliances like dishwashers and washing machines are the most common causes of household water damage. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to ensure that your appliances don’t damage your property or belongings. Here are some of the preventative measures that you should take when it comes to your appliances.
- Check for leaks: Check the areas around your appliances for signs of leakage every four months or so. Undetected leaks are one of the worst culprits when it comes to household water damage.
- Check supply hoses: You should also check the supply hoses leading to your appliances to ensure that their connections are water-tight and that they do not show signs of damage. Keep in mind that damage to these hoses may not be visible, so you should replace the supply hoses on your washing machine and dishwasher every five years.
- Avoid running appliances unattended: You should only run your washing machine and dishwasher when someone is at home to monitor things. This way you can stop running your appliance at the first sign of a leak or other malfunction.
- Read manuals for instructions: You should read the owner’s manual for your washing machine and dishwasher to ensure that you are using the right detergents and operating your appliances in accordance with manufacturer recommendations. This will reduce the chance of you accidentally damaging your appliances and suffering from water damage.
- Flush your water heater: You should flush out your water heater once a year to remove built-up sediment and other debris. This will keep your home’s water heater functioning properly and will reduce the chances of water damage to your property.
These are some of the steps that you can take to prevent your household appliances from causing water damage. Want another way to take care of your home? Then make sure you have the right homeowners insurance protections in place. For assistance with all your home coverage needs, contact the experts at Scavone Insurance Agency Center LLC in White Plains, New York for assistance today.