Eat healthier this Halloween with this recipe.
With all the sugar your kids will consume this Halloween, it’s important that you balance it out with a healthy meal. But how can you entice your kids to eat better this Halloween? Try serving up this fun dinner recipe to impress your little trick-or-treaters.
Jack-o’-Lantern Stuffed Peppers
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1-pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 large orange bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add beef, salt, and pepper; cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, just until it loses its pink color, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in rice, ¾ cup tomato sauce, and parsley.
- Meanwhile, cut out stem ends of bell peppers and set aside; scoop out seeds. With a sharp paring knife, cut out a jack-o’-lantern face on one side of each pepper.
- Place the peppers and tops, cut-side down, in a microwave-safe pie pan. Add ¼ cup water. Microwave on High until tender but firm, 4 to 6 minutes. Empty the water from the dish and turn the peppers cut-side up.
- Stuff the peppers with the beef mixture. Spoon the remaining ¼ cup tomato sauce over the peppers.
- Bake until the mixture is heated through, 20 to 25 minutes. Place the steamed tops back on top of the peppers.
Serve up this fun and healthy meal this Halloween. Do you need assistance with your insurance this Halloween? If so, then contact the experts at Scavone Insurance Center in White Plains, New York today.