Make sure your student is protected with the right insurance as they head back to college this fall.

Whether your student is returning to campus or heading off for the first time, it’s important to make sure that they have the right insurance to keep them safe. But what types of insurance does your student need the most? Here’s what you need to know about securing personal coverage for college students.

  • Auto Insurance

If your student is taking their car to campus, then they will obviously need to maintain their auto insurance. If your child is currently covered under your auto policy, then there’s a good chance that they can keep this coverage as they head off to campus. If your child is enrolled as a full-time student at an in-state university, then your insurer will allow you to keep them on your policy. If your child is attending an out-of-state university or attending a school over 100 miles away, then they can still be covered under your policy, but you may not have access to special discounts, such as good student discounts.

  • Renters Insurance

If your college student is living away from home to be closer to school, then they need to secure renters insurance to protect their personal liability and the personal possessions that they take with them. It doesn’t matter if your student is staying in an on-campus dorm or an off-campus apartment; renters insurance is an essential coverage designed to protect your student from theft, damage, and personal liability issues.

  • Off-Premises Theft Insurance

As your student travels to and from campus, they face a greater risk of having personal items stolen from them. For instance, their laptop could get swiped while they work in the library, or their car could get broken into and ransacked. Unfortunately, their renters insurance will only offer limited coverage to address these losses. This is why college students are encouraged to add an off-premises theft insurance endorsement to their renters policy. This endorsement will cover the personal belongings that are damaged or stolen while they are temporarily away from the main rental location.

These are some of the insurance coverages that your college student will need when they head off to campus. Do you need help securing the right coverages for your college kid? If so, then contact the experts at the Scavone Insurance Agency Center LLC in White Plains, New York today.

COVID-19 Update:

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, our office is working with limited staff. We are requesting people to come in ONLY IF NECESSARY! We have all the resources to continue servicing your Insurance needs. Should you need to contact us, please call the office first!! 914-428-7111. You can also reach us by email [email protected], or fax 914-428-7764.
You are more than just our Policyholders; you are our friends and “Insurance family”! We hope you stay safe and we will get through this together!! COVID-19 Info