Boughs of holly, blazing Yule, careful not to fire fuel!
Picking the bushiest tree, untangling the bundled holiday lights, and lighting cinnamon-scented candles are all part of the festive fun! Whether you opt for a minimally decorated home or a full-on Santa grotto, ensuring that your decorations don’t bring destruction is important for a safe and sound season!
Use these tips to get you started on your holiday decorating:
- Place trees away from heaters, vents, and fireplaces!
- Water it often (at the trunk.)
- Trim two inches from the trunk to expose fresh wood for best water absorption.
- Never use electric lights on a metallic tree.
- Only use specific exterior lights when decorating the outside.
- Discard any sets of lights that have frayed or bare wires or loose connections.
- Turn off all lights before leaving the house or going to bed!
- Never overload extension cords or sockets.
- If you’re opting for paper decorations, choose non-combustible or flame-resistant.
- Remove all wrapping papers from candles and fireplaces.
- Never burn wrapping paper in the fireplace!
- Never place lit candles on a tree or near evergreens.
- Blow candles out before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Place candles higher than dog’s tails height and out of reach of children.
By preparing and eliminating potential danger spots, your home will be at less risk of peril! Luckily, at Scavone Insurance Agency Center LLC, we can provide you with reliable home insurance that will see you through Christmas and beyond! For those located in the White Plains area of New York and the surrounding cities, give us a call today!