The winter months are here, and the colder weather can take a toll on your home. Make your home as prepared as possible to withstand the winter weather and keep your family safe and warm. Gathered are some winter maintenance tips to help you prepare your home.
- Tune up your heating system: Having a certified technician come and inspect your furnace or heat system to make sure it is working properly is an easy way to make sure you are not one of the 200 people waiting for heater repairs on the coldest day of the season.
- Reverse your ceiling fans: Your ceiling fan may have a reverse switch. If it does, you should use it to make your fan turn in a clockwise direction. Hot air rises and this will help to push the warm air down into the room.
- Check your roof: Take a good look at your roof to make sure that there are no loose or missing shingles that could let cold air or water into your home.
- Clean the gutter: Check your gutters for debris and clear it up. Debris can cause water to back up against the house, which could cause damage to the roof and cause leaks.
- Wait to Prune Trees: If you plan on cutting back your trees for the winter months, experts recommend waiting until late winter. This means that the trees have been dormant for a longer period of time. It could make them come back stronger in the spring.
- Clean the chimney: Before you light the first fire in the colder months, it is important to make sure that your chimney and vents are clean and empty of debris. This will prevent chimney fires and carbon monoxide from seeping into your home.
Check out these tips for winter-proofing your home. Contact the Scavone Insurance Agency Center LLC in White Plains for all of your New York home insurance needs. Let us get you a great policy to give your home the coverage it needs to withstand the winter months.