As the season cools for winter, snow will make driving that much more dangerous.
Falling snow can be beautiful as the land is gently covered with a comfortable blanket of billowy snow and tree branches become decorated with frost; indeed, a sight everyone must witness at least once in their lives. But as beautiful as it is, snow can make the roads a dangerous place as it creates water, slush, black ice, and other hazards. Here are a few tips to keep you safe from the dangers of winter driving.
Winter Driving Safety Tips
- Make sure you have the appropriate winter tires installed before the snows fall. Being prepared now is better than being unprepared during a heavy snow storm.
- Clean the snow and ice off your windows, mirrors, and lights. Run your car with the heat on the windshield and rear window to melt some of that ice.
- Drive with your headlights on to improve the visibility of your car.
- Don’t slam on the brakes if you don’t have anti-lock brakes. Slamming will cause you to skid and lose control. Either apply the brakes slowly or press and release to keep you in control of your vehicle.
- If you have to park outside, pull your windshield wipers up to avoid them becoming stuck under the snow which could damage them.
- Be cautious, even on seemingly dry roads. Ice is transparent on highways, and black ice can make any road as slippery as an ice skating rink.
- Always keep at least half a gas tank in your car. If you get stranded during a snow storm, you will thus have a source of heat.
Don’t freeze up to winter driving conditions. With these tips in mind, you can decrease your chances of getting into an accident. Get the best premiums and protection on your auto insurance to suit your needs and budget at Scavone Insurance Agency Center LLC. Located in White Plains, New York, contact us today for a quote!