Working outdoors in the hot summer weather can be very dangerous. If you, or some of the employees of your business work outside during the summer, make sure to take the proper precautions to keep them safe and healthy.
Heat illness is caused when the body is not able to properly cool itself by sweating. This is especially common in high humidity. If sweating is not enough to keep the body cool, a person’s body temperature can rise to dangerously high levels. Heat illnesses can range from a heat rash and cramps, to heat exhaustion and heat stroke. A heat stroke requires immediate medical attention, and can result in death if not properly treated.
Heat illness is preventable with the proper precautions. Employees who are new to working outside, or are returning to working in the outdoors after taking time off are especially vulnerable to heat illness. To help prevent heat related illnesses, make sure your employees follow these simple tips:
- Drink water every 15 minutes, even if you do not feel thirsty
- Rest in the shade to cool down
- Wear a hat and light colored clothing
- Learn the signs of heat illness, and know what to do in case of an emergency
- Always keep an eye on your fellow workers to ensure that they are not showing signs of heat illness
- Make sure to take it easy during your first days of working outside and give yourself time to get used to the heat
As an employer, it is important that you are cautious about having employees that work outside. Make sure you provide your employees with enough water and shade to rest in.
For all of your business insurance needs in White Plains, NYor Westchester/Putnam/Rockland County areas, contact the Scavone Insurance Agency Center LLC.